Friday, July 18, 2008

Nine...eternities..in...DOOM!

I just wanted to say that I adore Vincent Price.

I just watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes, which I haven't seen in years, as well as Dr. Phibes Rises Again, which I had never seen before.

DPRA - was OK, pretty standard fare, and of course with some fantastic overacting by the venerable Mr. Price, and one murder that I didn't see coming and that made me laugh out loud. Oh, and the single best use of a Sousaphone in the history of cinema.

But oh, my reader(s?)...if you have never watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes, or even if you have and it's just been awhile - go ye to thy Netflix, or to the Blockbuster, or to the MGM channel if you have it. It's got a terrific self-awareness, with hilarious murders, completely marvelous over-the-top mugging by Price and Virginia North, and creepy-ass animatronic musicians that appear in the film's most bizarre WTF moments.

Vincent Prince reportedly laughed so hard during the filming that they had to keep redoing his makeup.

"Nine...killed...you....Nine....shall...die. Eight...are...dead...soon.. to.. be...nine."

C'mon, people. Time to jump on this bandwagon.

No comments: